Today I caught up with Johane Clermont (affectionately known to CUR8 Home as Jo), to share her favorite creative space - her bedroom. Jo lives in Bedford Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, NY (aka Bed Stuy) and is a city planner with the city of New York. We asked Jo to briefly share how her favorite space motivates her work...
5 Reasons why your bedroom inspires you...
1. Huge Windows - The amount of sunlight that floods my room is amazing! I absolutely love a quiet, cozy space. The large windows help to open up the space, shedding sunlight on my favorite pieces.
2. I LOVE the raw materials. The exposed brick walls and hard wood floor brings a raw charm that makes me feel both comforted and safe.
3. My Bed - Go big or GO home! My large bed is ideal for me because I stand at 5'10" and need all the room I can get. I also adore the simplicity of the white + black throw pillows as accents to my bed. The look is clean, and fits my chic style.
4. Art! I am so in love with art, every opportunity that I travel, I try to find that one unique piece to add to the collection within my space.
5. Clean + Organized. I like order, and function best in a clean space. The feel of a clean space gives me the clarity I need to focus on saving the world, one city at a time.
3 Must-haves in your space...
1. Books - I have a collection of my favorite books, written by designers that inspire me, on my desk and window sill. Surrounding myself with these select set of books helps to motivate my drive to write one, and one day my work can also sit on someone’s window sill for inspiration.
2. Coffee + to do list
3. Music - Monk or Soulection Radio
More fun facts about Jo:
What are you most passionate about?
I'm passionate about the urbanization of developing countries. The world's urban population is expected to surpass 6 billion by 2045. Much of the urbanization is expected to occur in developing countries within Africa and Asia - where access to housing, transportation, energy, employment, education and health care, is currently non-existent, or limited. I'm most interested in finding sustainable and economic solutions to mitigate those challenges, particularly in housing and infrastructure.
Where have you traveled?
Aside from my native country, Haiti, I've visited Tokyo, Paris, London, Istanbul, Bangkok, Cambodia, Vietnam, Delhi, Mumbai, Goa, Cape Town, and Johannesburg. There's still more on my list, which I fully intend to get to.
What gets you up in the morning?
The fact that there's a lot of work to do, and I'm not yet where I want to be.